Here it is! Slightly late, but still the day I said a new recipe would be here. I think that deserves a small pat on the back!
Beans and Rice is a staple in my house. This is mostly because I love Mexican food and this is fairly simple, but I love that way you can jazz it up with toppings and sauces. Kind of the same with sausages.
Since I can’t have sour cream, or yogurt (my fav), I tried my hand at making a vegan lime sour cream. It was allllright! The key is tofu. I know some people hate it, and really I am one of you guys….but this stuff is just tasty. Eating a big piece of tofu is different than eating a lime sauce that fools you into thinking it’s really sour cream.
Anyway, here is the recipe.
- Beans and Rice
- 1 chopped tomato
- 3/4 cup uncooked rice
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic, grated
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of cumin
- 1 can of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 teaspoon lime rind
- 1 handful of greens
- 1 bottle of salsa (for eating)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 package silken tofu
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- First cook the 3/4 cup of rice with 1 1/2 cups of water.
- While thats cooking you can prep your vegetables etc.
- For the sauce you need to blend up your silken tofu until it’s smooth, probably using a blender. Then you can add the salt, lemon juice, and lime rind. Adjust to taste, and refrigerate until everything is ready to eat.
- Once the rice is done you can add the oil to the pan and heat to medium.
- Then saute your onions, adding the garlic near the end to cook for one minute so it doesn’t burn.
- Add the tomato, rice, beans, seasonings and mix together.
- Lastly, add in the greens and cover the pan until it they have wilted and everything has melded.
- Serve with lime “sour cream”, salsa, nacho chips/ tortilla wraps. Enjoy!