It probably seems like I don’t eat much in the way of side dishes.
And you’re probably right. Because it’s just the two of us and sometimes salads, and rolls, and potatoes just seem excessive.
So, when I do make them they have to be a meal in their own right.
That’s where this salad fell. We definitely polished off this whole bowl between the two of us one night. You can’t even feel bad about it, because it’s SALAD. The best.
I know, it might not look like much, but all the flavours come together perfectly.
You start by slicing up a sweet potato and baking it in the oven. This deepens the flavours more than boiling. I should probably mention you’re adding these warm. Yeah, warm sweet potato!
Then you’re going to add a whole bunch of arugula to a big bowl. The peppery-ness is great against the sweet of the potato pieces.
Did I mention the hard boiled eggs? Those can be made the night before/morning of, which saves a bit of prep time. We half those, and then slice them into these pretty pieces. This is the meaty part of the salad. Throw it on top.
Now, once those warm potatoes are thrown in as well, you have to add the dressing.
It’s mayonnaise based, because I wanted a creamy diary free dressing. You spice it up with some lemon balsamic vinegar, dijon mustard, salt, pepper, and sugar. It’s tangy and tart.
That’s it! A simple salad, and maybe it doesn’t look like much…but try it. I dare you not to like it.
- 1 well washed sweet potato, cut into 1/4 inch rounds
- 5 oz., 142 g of arugula
- 3 eggs, hard boiled
- 1 1/2 tablespoon lemon balsamic vinegar, or champagne vinegar
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 1/2 tsp dijon
- Pinch salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Slice the sweet potato into 1/4 inch rounds. Place on a large baking sheet.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes.
- In a small bowl combine balsamic vinegar, mayonnaise, and dijon. Whisk until smooth. Add in a pinch of salt, pepper, and sugar. Whisk once more to combine.
- In a large bowl place all the arugula.
- Half and then slice all the hard boiled eggs, add in to the large bowl.
- Once sweet potato is out of the oven add in as well.
- Drizzle dressing over the salad and then toss to coat everything.