Yes, I am sharing a recipe for a warm salad during the summertime.
But, it just couldn’t wait.
This salad starts with some kale, chopped into bit sized pieces, because what is with greens that won’t politely fit in my mouth? I do not want any part of it.
We’re all graceful, right guys?
Anyway, then we need to drizzle the kale with whatever great tasting olive oil and balsamic vinegar you can find. Tuscan herb olive oil + grapefruit balsamic = love at first taste.
Then we can throw in some slices of red cabbage. I won’t lie this is mostly for aesthetics, but also for a bit of crunch. Trust me it’s good.
Now onto the fun part. Croutons Pan fried in butter, followed by sautéed asparagus and chickpeas. All in butter guys, I’m sorry, but also not because of my god yum. Also it’s a salad so it equals out. The chickpeas soak it right up and it makes them totally rich.
To die for.
In other news, I got a job! A paid job. So, I will probably not be having the summer of my dreams, but you have to start somewhere.
The best part is definitely the security that comes with an income.
All those dollar bills coming my way. JK. (Seriously kidding).
And it’s the weekend and we have salad so what is there to complain about!
- 3 cups chopped kale
- 1/2 can of chickpeas, rinsed (about 1 cup)
- 2 thick slices of country bread
- a handful of asparagus, 6-8 stalks, chopped into 1 inch pieces
- some red cabbage sliced into ribbons
- cultured butter
- balsamic vinegar and olive oil to taste (I used grapefruit balsamic and Tuscan herb infused olive oil)
- pinch salt and pepper
- To start you can cut up your country bread into 1 inch pieces or whatever size you like. Then add a knob of butter to a hot pan, wait until it’s sizzling and throw in the bread cubes, toss until brown and toasty. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In the same pan saute the asparagus with some more of the cultured butter until bright green and as tender as preferred.
- In another pan you can heat some more butter and throw in the chickpeas. move them around every so often, but mostly they’ll just be soaking up that butter.
- Add kale to a large salad bowl, drizzle with preferred balsamic vinegar and olive oil. Toss to coat. Add in the ribbons of cabbage.
- Once the asparagus, chickpeas and croutons are done everything can be thrown together (while warm) in the salad bowl and tossed. Season with salt and pepper if desired.
- Then enjoy!