I know, I know, yet another Taco recipe.
But, I have a bold statement to make. These might be THE best cheese-less tacos I have ever had.
And I mean to be fair these are for breakfast not dinner! It’s Taco Thursday.
These guys are perfect for grey rainy days, or if you need any kind of warm pick me up. They are filling and hearty and lets face it pretty full of carbs ( but isn’t that what pick me ups are all about).
It has been raining here since yesterday and is supposed to continue into Monday… That’s a lot of dark cold days, so yeah, let’s make some tacos.
To start let’s make some homemade salsa. Half an onion finely diced, one chopped tomato, a tablespoon of fresh chopped mint and as much Jalapeno/Fresno pepper as you like. (Taste test it first for heat.) Finish with a squeeze of lime and pinch of salt and pepper, and into the fridge it goes to meld.
Now we’re going to cut up two yellow flesh potatoes into the cutest little half inch cubes. It may take awhile, that’s okay.
Then they get dropped in a nice pot of boiling water, basically a potato hot tub. Am I right? It’s just a brief 5 minute dip, we want them softened, not fully cooked. Drain and set aside.
Heat a pan over medium-high with some olive oil and throw in some finely chopped onions.
Next we’re going to focus on some chorizo, yum. Remove the casings and add to the hot pan. Break it up into smaller pieces as it cooks. We want crumbles, not chunks.
Once thats all cooked and crumbled we’re inviting those potato cubes to the party! Mix them in and add a little bit of extra oil if there isn’t much fat in the pan, they need a tan.
Once the potatoes are toasty, soft and browned all thats left is to add in whisked eggs and scrambled everything together.
Spoon into warm taco shells, top with fresh salsa, and bask in the joy of a warm taco breakfast.
Recipe from Smitten Kitchen
- Mint Salsa
- 1/2 onion, finely diced
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh mint, chopped
- finely chopped jalapeno or fresno pepper to taste
- juice of half a lime
- pinch of salt and pepper
- Taco Filling
- 2 yellow flesh potatoes, diced into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 chorizo sausages, casings removed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 onion, finely diced
- 6 eggs, whisked
- dash of salt and pepper
- 4-6 hard taco shells
- In a small bowl or container add half onion, tomato, mint, lime juice, salt and pepper. Stir to evenly combine. Rest in the fridge until tacos are ready.
- Fill a small pot with water, and bring to a boil. Add diced potatoes and boil for jut 5 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- In a large pan heat 1 tablespoon of oil over medium-high heat. Add in the rest of the half onion, and cook for about 3 minutes or until translucent.
- Add chorizo sausage to the pan, crumble with a spoon while cooking.
- Once cooked through, add in potatoes, and extra oil if needed to brown them.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Add eggs and scramble once potatoes are browned and soft throughout.
- Serve in warmed hard taco shells, with salsa.