I thought it was spring since that’s what the calendar is telling me.
I guess not though, since we had a blizzard this week. At the end of march. When it should be warm out. (I’m slightly put out by this)
Regardless, I’m just going to keep on pretending until it does happen! So here’s some awesome loaded potato salad.
It’s filled with everything that I love in potato salads. Honestly dream worthy stuff.
First off radishes! I’ve been on a kick with these little guys lately. They’re just so brightly coloured, and crisp, and that little bit of spice? Yeeees. Yesss.
Second up we’ve got smoked ham. The salty, smokey flavour of it is amazing. I thought it would play well off the potatoes and I was right. I may have been digging around in the bowl for more pieces after dinner. I am that person.
Third? How about some hard boiled eggs! The majority of potato salad recipes include these, and that’s probably for a reason. Majority rules right? Am I using that correctly? Let’s pretend either way.
Also, we’re going to throw in a little bit of parsley.
Last, but not least, potatoes are absolutely the most important part of potato salad, and I think I’ve made my opinion on them pretttyy clear here. But just in case you missed it… Love, so much love.
Obviously, I cannot wait to try this out on a legitimately warm day. It would be so great at a BBQ, or picnic. All things where you are experiencing nice weather really.
I know someone somewhere out there must be having nice weather right now… Try this! Let me know if it’s as great as I’m imagining it will be!
- 7 red potatoes, or 28 little ones
- 3 hard boiled eggs, chopped
- 1 cup smoked ham, diced
- 12 radishes, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon granulated sugar
- (Optional: Prepare this the night before) Add eggs to a pot, the larger the better. Completely cover them with cold water, making sure to have about 1 inch above them.
- Bring water to a boil uncovered, as soon as you see big bubbles remove from heat, and let sit for 13 minutes. Drain and run cold water over eggs until cool before peeling or refrigeration.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add whole potatoes and cook for about 35 minutes or until just tender.
- Drain and set aside to cool.
- Once potatoes are cold, chop into whatever size you like, leaving the skin on (it’s so pretty). Add to a large bowl.
- Dice ham, Slice radishes, chop eggs and parsley, add to the bowl.
- Now in small bowl whisk together to olive oil, lemon juice, dijion, sugar, and salt. Pour over potato salad, and toss to coat.
- Refrigerate for at least 15 minutes. This lets the flavours blend.
- Serve cold and enjoy!