After last weeks post, I think it’s time for me to introduce my friend.
Kale Caesar Salad to be more specific.
This beauty may not be as low-calorie as a salad with balsamic vinaigrette, but it packs a punch flavour wise.
It took my brain a ridiculous amount of time to catch up with that fact that croutons don’t have to be store bought. In fact they are pretty darn easy to make at home…in 10 minutes.
This was followed quickly by a homemade chicken shawarma “garlic sauce”. Surprise, surprise it tasted almost exactly like Caesar dressing. And with a few tweeks that is what it has fence forth been used for.
(If I figure out a good ratio for shawrma sauce, maybe someday you will see that recipe too.)
Anyway, I wasn’t sure whether to share this, because let’s face it I think you guys can make a salad. But maybe like me, your brain is just not into it. It is winter, we all could use some slack.
So, let’s talk about salad!
I like the idea of kale, because it’s sooo much better for you than plain lettuce, but if you want to use spinach or some other green, be my guest. The kale also has a nice sturdy structure to hold this heavier dressing. Yum.
Next, croutons. All you need is some stale crusty bread. Whatever kind you want! That gets put in a pan with some butter and smoked paprika. BAM, you’ve got some toasty warm croutons that taste like bacon. Try not to eat them before they go in the salad.
Finally, the most important part is the caesar dressing. I’m not going to lie it is garlicky, but it is so so good. Just don’t plan it for date night unless everybody is on board, kay?
And there we have it, a simple salad that will rock your boots off.
- 4 cups chopped kale
- For the Dressing (Makes about 1/3 of a cup)
- 1/4 cup of mayonnaise
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon of dijon
- 1/4 teaspoon of red wine vinegar
- pinch of salt and pepper
- For the Croutons
- 2 slices of crusty bread, chopped into cubes
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons butter
- In a small bowl stir together mayonnaise, garlic, lemon juice, dijon, red wine vinegar, salt and pepper.
- Let sit covered in the fridge until ready to use. Can be made ahead of time.
- In a small pan over medium heat, add smoked paprika and toast for 30 seconds or until fragrant.
- Add butter.
- Chop two slices of crusty bread into cubes. Toss in the butter and paprika mix until well coated. Toast until browned on most sides and crispy.
- Remove from pan and set aside.
- In a large bowl add 4 cups of chopped kale, pour caesar dressing over it and toss until well coated.
- Sprinkle croutons over top, serve, and enjoy!