I have been patiently waiting for Halloween to arrive since the beginning of September.
And today I can finally share a recipe for some spOOky (but not that spooky) cupcakes.
There is something about this time of year from around the middle of September until January that just feels so anticipated for me.
It’s like you are no longer waiting for the warmth and long days of summer, but all those holidays we have in the darker months. There’s Thanksgiving, Halloween, Christmas, and New Years at least.
They all feel special in their own way and each year I find myself getting very excited. I’m just waiting for the day when I can have my own holiday dinner’s, or to host a Halloween party where I can make all kinds of interesting treats.
Someday I’ll be living the dream.
But, until then I can still have some fun and make one or two cool treats for Halloween.
Today I have a recipe for Fudgy Chocolate with Pistachio Buttercream!
I first made this recipe awhile ago, and didn’t have time for photographs. But, here it is and even better the naturally green icing works great for Halloween.
These cupcakes are perfect for children and adults alike.
And not to mention super cute.
The cupcake and icing recipes are just your base and you can go as crazy as you want with the decorations. I’m not a cupcake whiz or anything so I bought some candy corn, candy pumpkins, and chocolate spiders to top these Halloween treats.
If you want to make any, or all of the above, with fondant than do it!
Be creative guys. Enjoy cupcakes and Halloween at the same time. It’s the great thing to do.
- For the Cupcakes
- 1/2 cup of butter
- 1 cup of brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/3 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup + 2 1/2 tablespoons of cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- For the Buttercream
- 3/4 cups chopped pistachios
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 3/4 cup of butter, room temperature
- couple drops of green food colouring if necessary
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees F. Prep two muffin tin with liners.
- In a large bowl beat butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Add the eggs beating until just combined. Lastly mix in vanilla and buttermilk.
- In a smaller bowl whisk together cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, salt and flour. Beat the batter and slowly mix in the dry ingredients until fully combined.
- Using an ice cream scoop you an place batter into the muffin tins.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out with only a few crumbs.
- Let rest in the pans for abut 10 minutes and then transfer to wire racks.
- To start place the icing sugar and chopped pistachios in a food processor. Process it until it is a fine as you can get. This took me about 6 full minutes.
- Meanwhile beat butter with a mixer until it is light and smooth. Add in the pistachio sugar and beat for 5 minutes or so until light and fluffy. If needed add more sugar, or a bit of milk to thin it.