I don’t know about anyone else, but I love english scones. These are the kinds of scones I dream about having again in London…with jam…clotted cream…and tea. I really think they were the highlight of my visits there.
So, this past Victoria Day when I was feeling particularly festive, I thought “Why not make my own! It can’t be too hard right?”. It really wasn’t and now I can enjoy these scones anytime I like.
Not too shabby right?
An optional topping that I definitely endorse is some really thick whipped cream, if you are one of those like me who does not have access to real clotted cream…(I mostly eye balled this). Sorry!
This recipe was found here and slightly adapted.
- 3 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3/4 cup (175ml) milk, or water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- A squeeze of lemon juice
- Optional Whipped Cream
- Heavy Cream
- Some grated lemon rind
- dash of vanilla
- 1 spoonful of sugar
- Preheat the oven to 430 F (220C) degrees.
- Combine all the dry ingredients in a bowl, and whisk.
- Then add in the butter, and mix with a pastry cutter (or your hands, I used mine) until it resembles fine crumbs.
- Now you can add in the wet ingredients, and mix until it’s combined. You might need a little extra water, that’s okay. When everything’s nice and soggy you can dump it out onto the counter and cut into your desired shape!
- Place on a greased, or floured baking sheet, and bake for 10 minutes.
- In a bowl pour in as much heavy cream as you want to whip up.
- Then you can grate in some rind from that lemon you squeezed above! See we’re not being wasteful. I probably used about a 1/4 tsp, but it would depend on how much whipped cream you wanted to make. If you’re not sure… probably safest to go with less.
- Then I put in a dash of vanilla and 1 spoonful of sugar. Just enough to make it slightly sweet, but not overwhelming.
- Now just whip it up until it’s quite thick, like almost to the point where you think, “Is this butter now?!”. Should be great then.
P.s I swear I’ll post something that is not a dessert sometime!