I think this has to be the best banana bread I’ve ever had.
It’s reasonably healthy and so satisfying.
This recipe was inspired by a (typical) lack of ingredients in my kitchen.
I made these Banana Blondies and then I didn’t have any chocolate to melt on top, but I had some of those chocolate macaroon candies… so I went for it.
It was a pretttyy great decision.
Obviously, I decided to replicate this tasty accident on my own.
I like things in loaf form more than squares, so I went with that. And, I mean if I’m going to be dressing up banana bread with a chocolate ganache on top then… I’d feel guilty if I didn’t at least try to make things a little bit more healthy.
This banana loaf has rolled oats, applesauce, and olive oil. It’s loosely based off of the banana bread I always made as a nanny in the fall. The kids loved it, I loved it. It’s good guys, try it!
Anyway, since I managed to make everything so healthy and great, I shouldn’t feel as guilty for smothering the whole thing in dark chocolate ganache with toasted coconut. Right?
Did I mention the ganache is dairy free? Apparently almond milk + melted margarine = a heavy cream equivalent. I have been in dairy free heaven ever since.
So, I’ll just leave this here and you guys can just do what you do with that. I’m going to be enjoying my bowl of heavenly chocolate.
- ⅓ cup unsweetened apple sauce
- ¼ cup of olive oil
- ⅓ cup white sugar
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup of oats
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 very ripe bananas, mashed
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla
- 20 ml of melted butter, or about an ⅛ of a cup
- ¼ cup of almond milk
- ½ cup of dark chocolate chips
- ½ cup shredded unsweetened coconut, toasted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Prep an 8-inch loaf pan with parchment paper, or non-stick spray.
- In a large bowl, mash the bananas, add in applesauce, olive oil, and vanilla.
- In another large bowl whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt and sugars. Blend into the banana mixture. Add the oats and stir. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake in preheated oven for 45-50 minutes, or until it tests done with a toothpick.
- Add melted butter to milk and microwave for 1 - 1 minute and 30 seconds.
- Add dark chocolate to a small bowl. Pour milk mixture over top and whisk until melted and combined.
- Let cool, add in toasted coconut. Whisk again.
- Drizzle ganache over the top of the banana loaf and add an extra sprinkle of toasted coconut to decorate.