Salads are not usually what I eat for a full meal, because they just…leave me wanting. I mean maybe for a lunch, but dinner? Nah.
This salad though was the perfect end to a hot summer day. It combined salty bacon, and sweet strawberries with a tart dressing. Need I say more?
I’ve seen strawberry salads around the internet for a while, and thought “Strawberries are a dessert, what are these people doing!”. But…then I tried it and you were right internet people, touché. So if you’re like me and balking at the idea of a sweet fruit in a more savoury setting, do not be afraid to try it!
The dressing I choose was a really simple mix of olive oil and vinegar, but I think a sweeter poppy seed dressing, or similar would work just as well. Maybe throw some dijon in. Experimentation is good!
- 2 handfuls of greens (Kale, chard, spinach, etc.)
- 1/2 cup strawberries, hulled and sliced in half
- 2 pieces of bacon, cooked and crumbled
- a small handful of sunflower seeds/pumpkin seeds/walnuts
- drizzle of olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- Wash your strawberries, and greens.
- Throw prepped strawberries, greens and bacon in a medium bowl.
- Drizzle the oil and vinegar over everything, and toss salad to coat well.
- Sprinkle your seeds of choice over the top.